Sealants are strongly suggested for children once their permanent molars start to appear. Sealants are an effective way to prevent cavities on the biting surfaces of the molars. Applying sealants is a simple procedure using a tooth color coating in the pits and grooves as a barrier to protect enamel from plaque, bacteria, and acids.
- It protects the depressions and grooves of your teeth from food particles and plaque that brushing and flossing can’t reach.
- It is easily applied and usually takes a few minutes to seal each tooth.
- Sealants can usually withstand the normal chewing forces.
- Sealants can last many years before a reapplication is needed.
- It is an excellent way to start the fight against tooth decay at an early age.