What To Do
- Find the tooth and handle the crown (the chewing surface) very carefully, not the root portion.
- If the tooth is dirty, DO NOT SCRUB OR REMOVE ANY TISSUE FRAGMENTS.
- Do not use soap or any other chemical to clean the tooth.
- ONLY rinse the tooth with water gently and DO NOT dry.
- Without touching the root, try to reinsert the tooth back into the socket and hold the tooth in place.
- If you cannot reinsert the tooth, keep the tooth moist at all times. You may put it in one of the following: Emergency tooth preservation kit, milk or saline solution. You may also place it in the mouth (next to the cheek), but be aware that there is a risk of swallowing the tooth and it is especially not recommended for children or patients with a chronic cough.
- Time is a critical factor in saving the tooth.
- Remember to bring the tooth with you.